Spring Cleaning Wardrobe Tips
The average woman will spend 287 days rifling through their wardrobe. Is this you?
According to a study by clothes giant Matalan, women will spend almost one year of their lives, 287 days to be exact, deciding what to wear. The average woman spends 16 minutes every weekday morning deciding what to wear and around 14 minutes on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
If you haven’t given your closet a good decluttering and organizing, now is a great time. What you wear impacts how you feel about yourself. Wouldn’t you like to feel amazing every time you walk out the door?
Don’t forget to check out my blog coming up on March 18th about organizing your closet.
Wardrobe Tips: Winter Clothes
As winter has recently ended for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, take some steps to declutter and organize your winter wardrobe. Here are some tips when changing out your winter clothes:
- If you didn’t wear it once this winter, consider letting it go. Don’t forget your shoes when doing this!
- Try on things. separate what needs tailoring and donate or give away what no longer fits.
- Protect out of season clothes from dust, heat, humidity, moths & bugs by making sure they are properly stored in chests, bags, containers, etc.
- Regularly clean around the baseboards, under furniture, inside closets & around heating vents.
- Clean clothing before storing. Dry cleaning & washing hot water kills pests in all stages
- Save yourself time and effort by Choosing containers that are large enough so clothes do not become wrinkled.
- For Cedar chests: cedar lumber loses oils. After 3 years useless.
- Set pheromone traps or use cotton balls soaked in lavender / citrus oil (update every 3 months) for bugs. I do not have enough clothes to need separate storage as I keep everything in one closet. I had a friend who used essential oils to kill ants and said it was the first time the ants didn’t come back, so I encourage you to check out essential oils.
- Label by size, age & season for kids clothes
- NOTE: be careful strong moth repellants camphor, etc. may be harmful humans & pets
Simplify Your Wardrobe with More Wardrobe Tips
I don’t want to be spending almost a year rifling through my closet, so I have simplified my wardrobe and continue to do so. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Figure out your style, colors, shapes & build from there. If you don’t want to hire a consultant, Google is your friend. You can find tips to help you figure out your colors and what clothes styles look good on you.
- Create clothes that easily combine & can be worn in many combinations. I have simplified my wardrobe by having my more creative side be expressed through my jewelry and accessories.
- Shop your girlfriends’ closet or consignment shop special occasions instead of buying a new dress for each event.
- Don’t buy new clothes every season—wear what works for you. Jeggings were a trend that I didn’t even touch. I knew they would not look good on me, so I never purchased any. When you find what looks good on you and you can feel it, that shows. People will consider that stylish no matter what the latest trend is.
- Take care of what you own and it will last longer. I would also encourage you to invest in good pieces and look for quality not quantity. Things that are made well will last. Cheap items will last a season if you are lucky.
The older I have gotten, the more I have simplified my wardrobe. Lots of leopard print and purple because I love both and feel great in them. I recently learned that a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don’t go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces. You can find lots of suggestions on the Internet to help you create a capsule wardrobe.
How can you simply your wardrobe? Would you try a capsule wardrobe? What are your favorite colors or prints?
DIY Options to Clear Clutter
Purchase Julie’s books on how to clear clutter from your life: https://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/shop/
Subscribe to Clear Your Clutter Inside & Out Podcast https://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/resources-concierge-services/podcasts/self-help-podcast/
Check out more of my decluttering tips and how to get organized on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SeibertRadio?feature=watch