How Can I Stop Collecting Souvenirs? Leave that Clutter on Vacation to Save Money & Sanity
Today we are talking about experiences!
Do you remember where you got all those little knick-knacks from? Are you looking to remember your vacation that doesn’t include another thing to dust? Want to wow everyone at the next family reunion? Let’s add experiences to prevent us from bringing in clutter to our home and clever ways to remember our trips.
Souvenirs: Gifts that Can Turn Into Clutter
Summer is a great time to collect experiences instead of things! It doesn’t have to mean a vacation, either. When buying for birthdays or holidays, think about experiences that you can give instead of something else to dust. Even if it’s winter, you can give an adventure for the summertime.
According to a July 2014 article on CNN: “In 2013 alone, travelers spent a total of $2.3 billion on souvenirs that were subsequently ignored, unused, unappreciated, unworn, discarded, disliked, ridiculed and/or stuffed in bottom drawers and backs of closets never to be seen again.
Worse, travelers wasted 427 million aggregated hours fretting over the purchases of pointless doodads, knickknacks, tchotchkes, gewgaws and dust gatherers.”
How much time and money have you spent looking for the perfect souvenir for yourself, family and friends? Would you rather come back and share your experiences with them so they could feel what it was like to be there? Or spend the money buying souvenirs on a nice meal or a day trip?
Instead of Souvenirs: Getting Creative
Have fun thinking outside the box, but here are some suggestions to get you started for gifting experiences for your friends and family or yourself!
- Tuition for class, a camping trip, memberships, concert tickets, a massage, groceries, a subscription to their favorite magazine.
- Donate to favorite causes instead of buying more things to collect
- Make own gifts: if you knit make a sweater or a scarf, make preserves or jams, or perhaps some beauty essentials like scrubs or masks.
- Consider a gift of Time: babysit, pet set, Make dinner & deliver. Was sick really appreciated this. One less thing to worry about. We are always looking for reliable cat sitters.
- Help start a home garden: provide seeds, tools; offer to help with home improvement projects such as painting
If you take the time to think about it, you can always come up with creative ideas to suit the individual.
How have you been creative with vacation memories? How will you make sure your souvenirs don’t become clutter?
Purchase Julie’s books on how to clear clutter from your life: https://www.amazon.com/Julie-Coraccio/e/B07JGGL7ZL/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Subscribe to Clear Your Clutter Inside & Out Podcast https://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/resources-concierge-services/podcasts/self-help-podcast/
Check out more of my decluttering tips and how to get organized on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SeibertRadio?feature=watch