Do you have lots of cookbooks, but only use a few recipes? Do you find a recipe you loved on Pinterest but now can’t find it? Learn organizing tips and declutter tips for your cookbooks and recipes as we continue our month focusing on the kitchen!
Don’t forget to check out part 2 of our blog focusing on recipes next week.
A Survey from an article in the Telegraph in February 2015 found we own on average six recipe books, yet make the same nine meals over and over again. I find this really fascinating. Does this resonate with you?
If I were to bet, I would say most people own more than six cookbooks and have more than 9 recipes. What are your numbers?
No matter your numbers, you will benefit from decluttering and organizing your cookbooks and your recipes!
Take the time to go through all of your cookbooks. If you haven’t used in the last year or two consider donating. Most libraries have sales and would love them or if you have a friend that loves to cook, considering finding a happy new home for your books.
If you use only a few recipes, keep those and release the cookbooks. You can take a picture and keep on your tablet; photocopy and file or rip out if you really need to.
Consider creating an online cookbook. You can use something like Evernote to house all of your recipes. Because it has such a great search capability you can easily tag by ingredient, course or occasion—whatever will help you easily find it when searching?
Organizing Your Cookbooks
- Organize books to match your style
- Alphabetize by author, themes, geography, by dish.
- By country, start your region or country, and then move in a logical direction that makes sense to you.
- There is no right or wrong here, whatever works for you.
Storing Your Cookbooks
- Make a book area. Personalize a kitchen with a shelf or area where you can keep books and sit down to read.
- Avoid placing near stove or over refrigerator as your cookbooks can become damaged.
- Use bookends to keep from slumping and bindings breaking.
- Open shelving or dedicate a cabinet to house all of your cookbooks. This is what I do. I have one cabinet that houses all my books and recipes
Something you will want to consider doing here: whatever system you are most likely to contain. IF you are more likely to put back in a shelf than in a cabinet, use shelves!
What cookbooks will you declutter? How will you organize your cookbooks?
DIY Options to Clear Clutter
Purchase Julie’s books on how to clear clutter from your life: https://www.amazon.com/Julie-Coraccio/e/B07JGGL7ZL/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Subscribe to Clear Your Clutter Inside & Out Podcast https://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/resources-concierge-services/podcasts/self-help-podcast/
Check out more of my decluttering tips and how to get organized on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SeibertRadio?feature=watch