Are you ready to expand your horizons and make yourself a little uncomfortable? Do you know the benefits of going out on a limb? What are the benefits of getting out of your comfort zone?
Ways I have gotten out of my comfort zone: I used to be afraid of public speaking, have confidence to go up and talk to someone, asking people to be interview.
I figure the worse that can happen if someone says no, ignores me, or I trip and fall. I will survive it.
This year, I am hoping you will get out of your comfort zone more. There is a quote about the sweetest fruit being out on the limb and I always think about that.
What is YOUR comfort zone?
Our comfort zones are staying in the familiar and the same old same old routines. Or not being excited about something new.
Most people stay in their comfort zone because it represents a pattern of minimal stress and rest. It gives us a false sense of security. All spiritual practices will probably tell you that security is an illusion. As is most of life, but that’s another podcast.
What’s your comfort zone?
You don’t have to do all areas at once. Where do you feel you’d like to change? What area is frustrating you? What is most important to you right now? Let that guide where you start.
Going outside of your zone will be easier the more you do it. Once you start, it gets easier. What was difficult and anxiety-inducing becomes easier as you repeat it.
Why get out of comfort zone?
- Increased productivity. Finding your sweet spot of getting out of comfort zone can help increase your productivity so you’re not just doing the bare minimum.
- Deal better with change. You can take controlled risks and challenge yourself and experience uncertainty in a manageable way.
- Increased creativity and power to brainstorm, new experiences, new skills, and new ideas inspire and educate you. A positively uncomfortable experience helps us see our problems in a new way.
- Helps us age better. Our comfort zones tend to shrink as we get older. Studies show that learning new and demanding life skills, can help us stay mentally sharp as we age.
- Untapped knowledge and resources. Who knows what you’ll discover about yourself? I not only got over my fear but also found out I really enjoy public speaking and am good. Same with interviewing and doing a podcast.
How get out of comfort zone?
- Do everyday things differently. Take a different route to work. Try a new restaurant by throwing a dart on the wall. Go vegetarian for a week. Make a change in the way you do things on a day-to-day basis. Look for the perspective that comes from any change, Go with the flow if things don’t work out the way you planned. I did an entire podcast on doing things differently.
- Slow down and get off autopilot. Slow down, observe NOT JUGGE what’s going on, take your time to interpret what you see, and then act. Think, don’t just react.
- Trust yourself. Go with your gut. Instead of analyzing something to death, check in with your intuition or gut. And then make the decision and move forward.
- Do it in small steps. Small steps can lead to big change and it’ss better than doing nothing. Dig deep. What is your fear? Figure it out and then take steps to change.
- Take a new class, read a new book. What would you like to learn?
- Learn new tech. I suck at technology but it has forced me to learn new things. I learned how to edit my podcast files by watching a 10-year old so it on YouTube.
- Learn how to use a map. Turn off the gps. When I first moved to Los Angeles, I used a Thomas Guide. It was a thick book of maps. I had to pull over at times, consult the map and figure out the directions.
- Get moving!
- Take a risk for you. It doesn’t have to be bungee jumping, but perhaps going to a network event.
- Get ok with being uncomfortable
Take actions from today’s declutter your life blog:
- Examine your life and discover where your comfort zones are.
- Determine what area of your comfort zone you would like to do first.
- Record the benefits you will receive getting out of your comfort zone.
- Dig deeper. Can you figure out where some of your fear comes from that keep you in your comfort zone?
- Take small steps getting out of your comfort zone. Consider writing it as a to do or setting a reminder on your calendar or phone.
Certified life coach, author & award-winning professional life organizer Julie Coraccio shares steps and tips to support you in creating the life you choose, deserve, and desire through decluttering your life, mindfulness, and how to organize your life.
About Clear Your Clutter Inside & Out Declutter Podcast
Clutter is stuck stagnant energy and prevents you from creating the life you choose, desire, and deserve. We discuss clutter in all its forms: energetic, spiritual, emotional, mental & physical, relationships, health, finances, and more. We share tips and take action steps for clutter-free living and how to organize your life and death with end-of-life planning. We’re thinking outside the box on areas where people might not realize where clutter is blocking them. When we remove clutter from our lives we can discover our passions, lead the extraordinary lives we are all meant to live, and share our gifts with the world.
Declutter Your Life with Julie Coraccio
DIY Options to Declutter Life
Purchase Julie’s books on how to clear clutter from your life: https://www.amazon.com/Julie-Coraccio/e/B07JGGL7ZL/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0
Subscribe to Clear Your Clutter Inside & Out Podcast https://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/life-coaching/podcast-coaching/self-help-podcast/
Check out more of my decluttering tips and how to get organized on my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/SeibertRadio?feature=watch