5 Tips for Clutter Awareness Week
Happy Clutter Awareness Week!
While it is great that there is a national week, devoted to being aware of your clutter, I believe we should be aware of our clutter on a much more regular basis. One week a year will usually not allow you to clear your clutter.
I am an award-winning professional life organizer and I see clearing clutter a little more different than most. I take a holistic view and believe you can have clutter in all areas of your life: physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and energetic. Clutter can also be in our relationship, health, finances and more. To me, clutter boils down to anything that prevents you from creating the life you desire.
While I will focus on five tips for today, check out my podcast, Clearing the Clutter Inside & Out, for more regular tips. Clearing the Clutter Inside & Out airs a new episode every Tuesday at 1 PM as well as an additional bonus episode one Saturday a month! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/clearing-clutter-inside-out-organize-mindfulness-well/id914959979?mt=2
Visual? You can check out the podcast on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/SeibertRadio?feature=watch
5 Quick Tips for Clutter Awareness Week
- Know Your Clutter Kryptonite. What is the PHYSICAL clutter that you get sucked into buying and keeping? I have to be very aware of gathering too many beauty samples that go unused or getting something in leopard print that just doesn’t work for me! Start to pay attention and discover where you are on autopilot with buying things or look around the home. What do you collect or have a lot of?
- What is creating MENTAL clutter for you? Are you overwhelmed? Stressed out? Not sleeping at night? Dig deep to get to the root cause and then take action. For example, if you are worried you won’t have enough in retirement, write a list of things you can do now to help plan savings instead of tossing and turning and doing nothing.
- Where do you have a knee-jerk reaction? Know your EMOTIONAL clutter and how you can clear it. If, for example, you go from zero to 60 in anger when things don’t go your way, create a plan to stay peaceful. Maybe you begin meditating or wear a rubber band to remind you not to get angry, or take a few deep breaths when you feel anger coming on. Control your emotions, don’t let them control you.
- Are you mainly happy and satisfied in life or sad and struggling? Could you have SPIRITUAL clutter that is stressing you out? Consider doing a regular mindfulness or spiritual practice to keep you centered. It could be meditation, practicing silence or walking in nature. A regular practice has many benefits including reduced stress and being able to better roll with the punches that life sends our way.
- How does your space feel? Can you relax and enjoy your space or does it feel yucky and heavy? Consider clearing your ENERGETIC clutter with a space clearing. Smudging with sage is great or you can also use sound from a bowl or chimes. Clearing your energetic clutter on a regular basis will help your space feel fantastic!
If clutter awareness week doesn’t help you clear your clutter, consider my upcoming Facebook Mastermind on Spring Cleaning: http://reawakenyourbrilliance.com/lifestyle-coaching/masterminds/